Thursday, February 02, 2006

Caring government

I don't want my government to care about me. I don't want them to love me. I don't want them to like me.

I want them to leave me alone as much as possible.

I know there are things that government needs from me. I pay my taxes.

I know there are things I need from government (i.e. national security, roads, etc.). They can take care of these things without interference from me.

The rest of the time, I want government out of my face.

I don't want to see government when I go to the doctor.

I don't want checks from the government, because that usually means they are giving me back my own money, which they shouldn't have taken in the first place.

I don't want government teaching my kids. Let them give me a voucher or a check or whatever, and let me take my kids to a private school where they can get an education, instead of an indoctrination.

I don't want government "creating jobs". The kind of jobs government creates are either short-term, or lifelong bureaucratic "drain your soul" type jobs. Government can do more to create jobs by doing nothing.

I don't want government to "save the environment". If they want to regulate the dumping of toxic waste, that's fine. Other than that, I could care less. If a species is endangered, there is a good reason: THEY ARE UNFIT TO SURVIVE! Let them die.

Reagan put it best: "...government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?"

No comments: