Monday, July 17, 2006

Quote of the day

Due to the ongoing war in Israel, I have been searching everywhere for this quote. It sums up the whole Palestinian/Israeli situation perfectly:
"Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us." - Golda Meir


People should never take pride in their children's suicide, even if it is in a good cause. Yet, how often do we hear about or see Palestinian parents interviewed who do exactly this horrendous thing? There are few greater evils in the world than this.

On the opposite side of the coin, there was my grandmother, Lucy Elizabeth Bowers, but everyone called her "Mama John" (my grandfather's name was John). My grandmother had 10 children. "Stoic" is a word that comes to mind when I think of her. "Blase" is another word. 10 children will do that to you.

Mama John also had the misfortune of outliving several of her children. I can honestly say the ONLY time I ever saw her cry was at my Uncle John's funeral. And she cried like a baby.

This woman was a rock. Yet the death of just one of her 10 children, one who had lived a normal lifespan, was enough to break her.

I try to imagine under what circumstance would she ever send one of her children off to commit a suicide mission. Short of God Himself telling her to do it, there is no chance it would ever happen. She would send herself first, God bless her soul.

No comments: