Friday, January 27, 2006

Editorial of the day

Instead of an editorial today, I am going to nominate a political position paper.

There is a group called "Set America Free", whose goal is for America to become less oil dependent. I agree with their intentions as well as the means they advocate for obtaining energy security. They have "A Blueprint for U.S. Energy Security" which is only five pages long. I consider it mandatory reading for anyone who is concerned with how much money we are sending to the Middle East to pay for oil. This is a solution.

For most of my life, I have never been a "greenie". It always seemed to me that most environmental solutions created more problems than they solved.

9/11 changed my thinking.

It made me realize that as long as we pay money into the Middle East, that money has a good likelihood of ending up in a terrorist's hands. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

I decided then that my next vehicle would be fuel efficient (a hybrid if possible). While I have not bought it yet (I don't have the money), that is my intention.

If you had another option, would you knowingly patronize a store whose profits were going to the Mafia? Right now, our oil money is going to terrorists. Maybe not directly, but it finds it's way there. However, we DO have an option: We can convert to alternative energy sources. It won't be cheap, and it won't be easy. But in the long run, we will be safer for it.

No comments: